Michael Mol didn’t go for career counseling, which could explain why he’s a medical doctor, an executive TV producer & presenter, an international speaker, social entrepreneur, business consultant, former CEO and founder of Hello Doctor. His twitter profile sheds more light @DrMichaelMol:“A husband to one, father to three, friend to few, a stranger to many… but not to God.”
A trauma doctor turned TV personality with a Mr. South Africa title in the mix, Michael traded the casualty room for the small screen and anchored Top Billing, South Africa’s longest running prime time television magazine show, for more than a decade, scooping up several critically acclaimed awards along the way. Michael’s passion for discerning what makes people tick then led him to co-founding Tomorrow Today – helping organizations navigate the ‘New World of Work’ followed by The Revolution Group – helping people unearth what they were born to do through discovering their innate strengths. He has spoken to companies around the world and has been recognized as one of the South Africa’s top business speakers with a Hall of Fame distinction. In line with his ambition for a healthier world, Michael took up the position of CEO of Sportron International – a group of companies focused on promoting health and wellness through education and a new generation of nanotech nutritional supplements – but the power of media to bring about positive behaviour change would not let him go.
Business aside, Michael launched Expresso, SABC’s live morning show, as anchor presenter. Then as Executive Producer and presenter he melded his passion for medicine and media and produced two new TV series: “Hello Doctor” and “The Dr. Mol Show” with a vision to educate, entertain and inspire people to live their best life, by being the healthiest they can be. Watched by over a million people weekly, the show was part of a bigger vision to give every South African access to personal, affordable and quality healthcare through immediate access to doctors via their mobile phones. That vision became a reality with “Hello Doctor” – a mobile healthcare company of which he is a founding director. Hello Doctor’s game-changing approach to healthcare, using mobile technology to give anyone access to doctors anytime, anywhere, on any phone in any language is advancing #HealthForAll, and bringing South Africa closer to achieving the WHO’s Sustainable Development Goals – ensuring that everyone everywhere can access essential quality health services without facing financial hardship.
Michael is a South African Brand ambassador and has been commissioned to write a second book, on the back of his first best-selling publication “Your Best Life.” Aside from all the hats he wears, he suffers from an insatiable thirst for adrenaline! From sky-diving out of a hot-air balloon, running the bulls in Pamplona, scuba diving under a frozen lake, wing walking on a biplane, surfing the great Zambezi white waters on a body board, flying to the edge of space in a Russian Mig and bungee jumping off the highest bridge in the world backwards – there’s nothing that he wouldn’t tackle… yet!
Michael lives in Cape Town, South Africa with his wife Jacqui, their three children: Josh (18), Rachael (15) and Naethan (10) and is no longer on the safe side of 40
Abe Wakama is the CEO of African Innovator Group, publishers of IT News Africa
(www.itnewsafrica.com) and African Innovator Magazine (www.africaninnovatormagazine.com ). With the
help of a talented team of media professionals, he has grown his organisation into one of Africa’s leading
technology business news publishers and conference organisers.
He has a solid understanding of African ICT business drivers and is well travelled across the continent.
Mr Wakama has built an invaluable network of leaders within the ICT business community and his opinions
are highly regarded, evidenced by the numerous TV and radio interviews (BBC Radio, CNBC, AIT,
SABC etc.), and industry conferences he has been asked to participate in.
Mr. Wakama has been invited to participate in a number of Africa focused technology events including:
- Panelist at the Commonwealth Digital Broadcasting Switchover Forum (South Africa)
- Moderator at the CIO Mining Africa Summit (South Africa)
- Moderator at London Business School’s Africa Business Summit 2016 (UK)
- Abe was a judge at the AfricaCom awards 2013 (South Africa).
- Invited to be a judge on the Cloud Computing Africa awards panel (South Africa).
- Invited to be a judge on the Accenture Innovation Index Panel (South Africa)
- Chaired the Cloud Computing Africa conference (South Africa).
- Chaired Mobile Web West Africa (Nigeria).
- He was a judge at the HP Social Innovation Relay event (South Africa).
- Chaired the Innovation Africa Digital Summit (Uganda)
Russell Warman is Head of Infrastructure and Operations at Auto Trader, the UK's largest digital automotive marketplace. Russell has been at Auto Trader for over 20 years in various technology roles and projects to support their digital transformation.
Joseph Ndaba a founder & CEO of Mahikeng innovation hub, a 4IR Commissioner - Presidential Commission on 4IR.
MIHub is an innovative virtual techno hub in the heart of Mahikeng- capital city of North West Province, with the focus being unearthing and cultivating innovative solutions that will ultimately assist businesses, educational institutions, government and communities to acclimatize in this vast changing technological world, while improve efficiency and effectiveness in the North West province through the adoption of 4IR, implementation of ICT and Innovation programmes, Entrepreneurial development, Research Development and Innovation.
Mr. Ndaba has been in Leadership positions, ICT & Training Industry for the past 13 years and with the skills and educational background he has worked as:
- Banking Systems Training Consultant at FNB Shared Services HR L&D
- Micro Specialist at Spar Group of Companies (South Rand DC)
- Retail Systems Training Controller at Spar Group of Companies (South Rand DC)
- Senior IT Lecture: IT Technical Support at Primeserv: Stanford Business & Computer College
As part of developing Entrepreneurs, he is sitting in two boards at the NW University –
- North West University Enactus Business Advisory Board,
- North West University Information Systems Department (ISD) Industry Advisory Board
- and a chairperson of North West Province Innovation Forum – collaboration between the Industry, Government and Academia, supported by CSIR, and Department of Science & Technology. With the aim to support and facilitate innovation activities (Regional Innovation Support Programme)
- Top 20 Young South African Most Influential Individual for 2016,
- Standard Bank Rising Star Finalist 2015 & 2016
- Whos Who SA Notable 2015
- South Africa’s Black Business Awards 2017 – 1st Runner Up - BBQ Awards
- STD Bank Thought Leader 2018
- Business Advisory Board Enactus University of North West - Mahikeng Campus
- North West University’ Information Systems Department (ISD) Industry Advisory Board
I started out as a business analyst, moving onto project management and ending up as an IT Manager, now an IT/Digital Executive.
The majority of this time has been in financial services, especially banking & insurance (long and short-term). As an IT professional, I have spent my time on the business end of the industry more than a technology/technical focus. This has made me strong on understanding the need for and creating alignment between business and IT as part of a functioning organisation. I have a strong process background (BA), a commercial mindset and attempt to create sustainable business capabilities rather than taking short term solutions to solving business problems. Development of an IT or Digital strategy is key to ensure this occurs. Coupled with a strong execution ability, I have and can deliver what is promised.
More recently I've taken a keen interest in digital specifically. The trend for Marketing and IT to work more closely together in terms of exploiting digital technologies for growing the business and getting closer to clients is an exciting field. Especially the use of social platforms and mobile can create cost effective and innovative acquisition tools or business models.